In recognition of the importance of an educated population to the future well-being of rural communities, the Rural Municipalities Association (RMA) established the RMA Scholarship Program in 1995. The program is designed to encourage young rural Albertans to pursue further education, and make meaningful contributions to their communities in subsequent years. Through the Scholarship Program, RMA provides funding assistance to five rural students each year (one student in each of the five RMA geographic districts). Athabasca County students are eligible to apply.
A scholarship in the amount of $1,000 is presented to one successful applicant from each of the five RMA districts.
In order to be eligible, an applicant must:
- be a resident of a municipality which is a member in good standing of the RMA, including municipal districts, counties and Special Areas. Residents of cities, towns or villages are not eligible;
- be registered in his or her first four years of study at a recognized post-secondary institution (the applicant must not have any previous degrees or diplomas). Preference will be given to candidates attending a recognized post-secondary institution in Alberta, except in instances where the chosen program of study is not available in Alberta; and be pursuing a course of studies of relevance to local government and/or rural communities.
The application period is from May 1 through August 31, 2019.
Submitted applications must include:
- the completed RMA Post-Secondary Scholarship Program Application
- a letter from the applicant, setting out his/her goals and objectives in pursuing further education, as well as the relevance of their study program to local government and/or rural communities;
- official transcripts of his/her high school marks (note: photocopies are acceptable provided that the photocopy includes the signature of a school or municipal official, along with that official’s confirmation that the photocopy is a true copy of the original);
- a brief résumé outlining employment experience, community involvement and volunteer activity, recreational and cultural pursuits, etc.;
- written confirmation from the chief administrative officer of the local rural municipality, certifying that the applicant is a resident of the municipality.
For more info and applications visit the Rural Municipalities Association website: