The Seniors’ Advocate

The Advocate can assist with completing provincial and federal applications for designated seniors programs. The Seniors Advocate also supports lifelong learning by  coordinating a variety of informational workshops and  symposiums throughout Athabasca County.

If you require any of the services we offer, we recommend you phone our office to book an appointment so we can ensure your needs are met.


The Seniors’ Advocate works alongside FCSS staff and with organizations in the province to host an annual Seniors’ Symposium for older adults and their caregivers in the Athabasca and Boyle region. The event has grown over the years and is now held over two days with one event in Boyle and the other in Athabasca. We are very fortunate to have the support of many businesses who support our event with prizes and gifts in-kind.

Frequently Asked Questions

What government pension(s)/benefits do I qualify for and can you help with the application?

There are two federal pensions available (Old Age Security and the Canada Pension Plan.)  There are also two supplements available Guaranteed Income Supplement (Federal) and the Alberta Seniors Benefit (Provincial.)  However, not everyone will qualify as some programs are income based.  The FCSS Seniors’ Advocate can assist in completing applications.

Are there any government programs available for home renovations/repairs?

Yes, there is a provincial government loan called the Seniors Home Adaptation and Repair Program available for seniors.

Is there help for me to stay in my own home?

Yes, for home making/yard work there is assistance under the Seniors’ Special Needs Program but you must get the Alberta Benefit.

My parents need further support where can I find the resources?

The FCSS Seniors’ Advocate has resources and may be able to refer you to another agency. Information on Personal Directives, Goals of Care, Enduring Power of Attorney, Wills and Being an Executor are also available.

Do you know anything about Elder Abuse and what to do about it?

The FCSS Seniors’ Advocate has resources and referrals to other agencies that can assist.

Do you offer support groups?

The FCSS Seniors’ Advocate offers small group support for caregivers looking after family or friends with Dementia/Alzheimer’s and offers Care for the Caregiver sessions as a trained facilitator through Caregivers Alberta.

Is there assistance with transportation needs?

Athabasca County also offers transportation assistance for residents, they can be accessed through the Community Transportation Program.

To serve you better, appointments are recommended.