Nomination Day is September 18, 2017
From 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 Noon
Athabasca County Administration Office
For a Candidate’s nomination to be valid, a Candidate must complete the prescribed Nomination Paper and have five eligible voters sign his/her Nomination paper. The candidate is encouraged to seek more than five in case a nominator becomes disqualified.
Nominators must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A Canadian Citizen
- A resident of Alberta for the six consecutive months prior to election day
- A resident in the voting subdivision/ward in which you are signing the Nomination papers, on election day; and
- Not otherwise ineligible or disqualified (Refer to Section 22(1) of the Local Authorities Act.
Filing of Nomination Papers
Nomination papers must be filed on Nomination Day – September 18, 2017. The Returning Officer will receive each candidate’s originally signed Nomination Paper from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 Noon at the Athabasca County Administration Office (3602-48 Ave.). Nomination papers that are faxed, or that have less than five (5) eligible voter’s signatures will NOT be accepted.
Ensure your Nomination papers are appropriately completed with all information. If Candidate will not be personally present to file the Nomination, the Acceptance Section must be duly signed by the Candidate and a Commissioner of Oaths.
If the Candidate will be personally present to file the Nomination, the acceptance portion may be completed at that time.
Nomination Deposits of $100.00 (cash, debit card, certified cheque or money order) must accompany a Candidate’s Nomination Paper. This deposit shall be held by the County in keeping with the terms outlined in Bylaw 24-1983 and the appropriate sections of the Local Authorities Act.
Deposits Shall be Returned if:
- The Candidate is declared elected
- The Candidate obtains a number of votes at least equal to half of the total number of votes cast for the declared candidate with the least number of votes, or
- The Candidate withdraws in accordance with Section 32 of the Local Authorities Election Act.
Withdrawal of Nomination Papers
If more than the required number of candidates for any particular office are nominated, you may, within 24 hours of the close of nominations (Before 12 Noon on September 19, 2017) withdraw your name as a candidate by submitting a notice of withdrawal in writing to the Returning Officer. A faxed or emailed notice of withdrawal will not be accepted.
For Further Information Contact:
Leah Blair, Returning Officer
3602-48 Ave., Athabasca T9S 1M8