Fort McMurray Wildfire – Evacuee Info Sheet

This is likely one of the most uncertain times for residents of the Fort McMurray region and this information is being provided to help connect people staying in our region with needed resources. Please share this information with anyone in the region who might find it helpful.

Much of the information here was taken from so please refer to this webpage for updated information to what is included here.

Alongside the many proud volunteers of Athabasca and region, we wish you all the best in the future and will continue to provide helpful information and services.


Why register at a reception centre?

Athabasca County and the Government of Alberta are encouraging all wildfire evacuees to register with the province. In doing so you are helping to plan for future income supports, and help the province assess where and how many supports are needed in various geographic locations in Alberta.

The province is planning for the process of transitioning people from temporary accommodations in reception centres, and private homes, to more permanent solutions. It will take some time to accomplish but with your cooperation in registering it should go more quickly.

You are eligible for support whether you are staying with a friend or family, or at a reception centre. Information about this is available at the receptions centres. More information is available by calling the toll free number 310-4455.

Where to Register

There have been a number of reception centres set up in Alberta. As of May 6, 2016, the closest reception centres to Athabasca are located in Lac La Biche at the Bold Center, 8702-91 Avenue (780) 623-3829 and at the Northlands Grounds, Hall A, – 7515-118 Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta, (780) 471-7210.

Reception Centres are supported by the Alberta Emergency Management Agency and offer a full range of services and are prepared to welcome you and help connect you with help. Reception centres offer mental health services, food, shelter, clothing, baby supplies, and much more.

Insurance companies are also on site that can help get your claim going and offer interim financial assistance to help cover costs. Government of Alberta officials are also on site and can connect you with other information that will be vital in the coming days and weeks.

Evacuees can also contact the Red Cross at 1-888-350-6070 to register their location. This can also be done online at:

It’s important to register to ensure officials know how to reach you and also to verify that you got out safely.


Insurance Claims

Evacuees should keep all receipts for food purchases, accommodations and other expenses to provide to insurance companies for possible reimbursement. If you’ve suffered a property loss, contact your insurance provider. You may entitled to additional living expenses under your insurance policy.

If you cannot recall your insurance provider, contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s consumer information line for assistance at 1-844-227-5422 or by email at

Emergency Benefits

Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)

Affected clients receiving AISH benefits by cheque rather than electronic deposit should call the Athabasca AISH office. In addition to financial and health related assistance, AISH clients may also be eligible for personal benefits.

Call toll-free by dialing 310-0000 then 780-675-6853 between 8:15am-noon and 1-4pm

Income Support

Affected Alberta Works clients who receive benefits by cheque rather than electronic deposit should call the Cold Lake Alberta Works Centre to find out how to receive your benefits.

Call toll-free by dialing 310-0000 then 780-594-1984 between 8:15am-noon and 1-4pm

Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD)

Families or contracted service providers needing human, financial, or in-kind assistance to connect with loved ones, find accommodations or provide assistance to individuals receiving PDD supports, can contact the PDD Program Branch at 780-427-1177 ext #3 or Disability Services at 780-415-2466.

Children and Youth Services

For information on child intervention, child care and Family Support for Children with Disabilities, Fort McMurray and area residents may contact 1-800-638-0715.

Alberta Supports

Affected clients can contact Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992, or 780-644-9992 in Edmonton, for additional information on social benefit programs.

Health Information

If you need immediate assistance, phone 911.

For non-emergency health advice, including information on your healthcare options, call Health Link at 811.

Alberta’s 24-hour Mental Health Help Line is 1-877-303-2642

Resources are also available through the Alberta Health Services website.
Evacuation centre health services

Alberta Health Services (AHS) is working to get the appropriate level of health care to each evacuation centre, including mental health supports, home care supports, EMS care and pharmacy services.

AHS has health care teams at the reception centres in Fort McKay, the Suncor Firebag Village, Lac La Biche, Noralta Lodge and Edmonton Northlands.

Filling prescriptions

If you have personal identification and a means to pay, please visit any community pharmacy to have your prescriptions looked up online through Netcare.

If you do not have personal identification, please visit an evacuation centre. Medical staff or pharmacists will assess you and will either administer necessary drugs or provide a bridging prescription, with directions to community pharmacies that can assist.

Please Note:  we will endeavour to add to the this information over the coming days and weeks. Please check back for additional information.