This video demonstrates the importance of landscaping on wildfire mitigation. The difference in durability of the structures with a maintained yard and one that’s not maintained is dramatic, highlighting that small yard maintenance tasks can make a big difference in protecting your property.
How do I make my property FireSmart?
- Clean your gutters in early spring and early fall
- Trim trees to a 2 meter clearance between bottom branches and the ground
- Use crushed rock around your house instead of mulch
- Plant deciduous trees like Aspen and Poplar
- Plant trees 3-5 meters apart
- Separate wood fencing from your house using metal or composite gates
For more information check out FireSmart Canada’s Guide to Landscaping